Loaded Vegan Nachos
February 24, 2020 (1 month ago)
Nacho – average dinner. Vegan nachos loaded with fresh herbs, avocado and cashew queso.
A fresh, light and plant-based take on the traditional stodgy nacho recipe, by Nutra Organics.
The cashew queso delivers a great source of magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium and B vitamins from the cashews and nutritional yeast so load up on the sauce!
We’re sure this will be a hit with even the fussiest eater.
• 3 tins black or red beans (strained under cold water to get the goo off)
• 1 tbsp of an additive-free Mexican spice mix (or see below for a simple homemade recipe)
• 1 heaped tbsp of smoked paprika
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tbsp of Tamari sauce
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Corn Chips (your choice or try roasting thin slices of sweet potato)
• 1 tbsp of The Wholefood Pantry Maple Syrup
• 1 1/2 cups The Wholefood Pantry Raw Cashews
• 1/2 cup The Wholefood Pantry Vegan Nutritional Savoury Flakes
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 1/2 cup filtered water
• 1 yellow capsicum
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp The Wholefood Pantry Pink Himalayan Crystal salt
Toppings2 Avocados, sliced
¼ cup coriander
3 Spring onions, thinly sliced
1 Lime, cut into wedges
1 Corn, charred and kernels removed
2 Tomato, cut into wedges
• If possible, soak cashews for 2hrs+. Otherwise, soak for 20 minutes in boiling water to do the trick.
•Place the over on full whack, cut up the yellow capsicum into chunks, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, place on a lined baking tray and bake for 10 mins or until tender.
• In a high-speed blender, add soaked cashews, vegan nutritional savoury flakes, salt, garlic clove, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, filtered water, roasted yellow capsicum, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, and cumin, and blend for a few minutes until smooth. Adjust salt if needed, and add more water if a runnier consistency is desired.
• Set the oven to 180 C.
• Place black beans, Mexican seasoning, smoked paprika and a little olive oil in a frypan over medium-high heat, and fry until spices are fragrant.
• Add tinned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tamari and maple syrup. Stir through and allow to simmer for 5 mins.
• Place bean mixture into a baking tray, then drizzle over some of the queso mixture. Top with corn chips and bake for about 10 mins, or until corn chips become slightly roasted but not burned.
• Remove from oven, then load with avocados, coriander, spring onions, lime, corn, and tomatoes, and drizzle with a little more cashew queso.