Nourishing Veggie Soup with Miso Broth
May 24, 2018 (10 months ago)
This is a good old-fashioned vege soup, the only tick here is our vege broth hack! Adding vegetable broth powder instead of stock cubes keeps it clean, easy and full of added nutrition as well as so much extra flavour and means its still ready in under an hour! The broth has organic red miso which provides an amazing depth of flavour in no time at all.
You can, in fact, include any veggie you desire in this hearty vegetable soup (crazy, I know!). Just use the recipe as a guideline, basically. I’d say the carrots/celery/leek (classic mirepoix) combo is good to keep as a base, and the potatoes add a bit of starch so I’d keep them too, but other than that, include whatever vegetables you have on hand. I love beans so I would keep them as well, but that’s entirely up to you.
Keep it vegan-friendly or add in some shredded chicken or ham if that serves you and your family best. I recommend it with some hot seeded bread straight from the oven. Like this recipie HERE
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 leek
- 1 Thumb ginger chopped if you like something warming
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes or other root vege, diced (peel if you wish)
- 4 cups water
- 3 large tablespoons of Nutra Organics vegetable broth powder
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 small bunch kale, torn into small pieces (remove tough stems)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Prep your carrots, celery, and leek (and ginger) Add them to a large pot over medium-high heat along with the olive oil. Sauté for 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, chop the potatoes and root vege.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, potatoes, turnips, beans, and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high and bring to a gentle boil. Cover with the lid slightly ajar, and let the soup simmer on medium to medium-low heat (adjust as needed) for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Cooking the soup for longer will make it more flavorful, but it isn’t necessary, especially if you like the vegetable tender-crisp, for example.
- Add the kale and peas and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
If you wanted to do this in the slow cooker add all the ingredients aside from the canned beans leave on high for 4 hours, add beans and simmer for another hour. Alternatively, use lentils and add them at the beginning along with your chosen vege.
More on Broth
Our nourishing Vegetable Broth powder is the perfect instant solution for the time-poor, health-conscious person following a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Enjoy the convenience of this nourishing and versatile winter warmer, helping to feel good inside and out. Our Vegetable Broth is a source of:
- PROTEIN – For tissue building and repair
- CALCIUM – For healthy bones and teeth
- ZINC – For normal immune system function
- VITAMIN C – Support immunity and decrease infection
- VITAMIN B2 – For normal iron transport and metabolism
- VITAMIN B3 – For normal neurological function
- VITAMIN B5 – For normal mental performance
- VITAMIN B12 – Contributes to reduction of tiredness
Shop Broth HERE