Inspired by GBBO? Well, here’s a chance to reward yourself with this week’s Star Baker title. Our blogger of the month Olivia Williamson (@the_cashewtree) has shared with us her fiendishly good-looking Chai Latte Cupcakes with Coconut icicng; sweet, fluffy, moreish nibbles that’ll see you through the rest of the week.
The icing can be adapted to whatever ingredients you have or prefer to use. Keep it vegan or if you like a traditional buttercream (who doesn’t), then you can adapt the recipe as needed. Go on. Give it a go and make Mary B proud.
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
For the icing:
1. Line a muffin pan with liners and pre-heat your oven to 175oC (fan oven).
2. In a large bowl, mix the vinegar with the milk and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
3. In a high-speed blender, blend the sugar so that it becomes a powder.
4. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, then sift the sugar in too. Add the baking powder, soda and salt and whisk all of the dry ingredients lightly with a fork to combine.
5. Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla to the milk mixture and whisk well.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients then fold the mixture until everything is combined and no lumps are left.
7. Divide the batter between your cupcake cases and put in the oven for 15-17 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cakes cool completely before icing.
8. To make the icing, whisk the coconut cream with an electric whisk for a few minutes, before adding the rest of the ingredients and whisking again. Store the icing in the fridge until ready to use.