One of my favorite things about the weekend is the chance to get in the kitchen and play around making things I don't have time for during the week.
I have tried many different variations of this type of loaf but this one works really well if you are after a really nutty texture and want something that you can adapt to sweet or savory.
The best part is its a one bowl mix together and forget about kind of thing and if you leave it to sit overnight the seeds start to ferment making it easier on your digestion.
- 1 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup Chia Breakfast Booster for sweet or Chia Salad Booster for savory
- 1 1/2 cup of rolled oats (use GF if you need)
- 1 teaspoon of flaky sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of Chia oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
For a spicy sweet loaf add
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix to combine
- Add the water and oil and make sure the mix is all well-mixed
- Leave overnight if possible or at least 1 hour to allow the ingredients to soften and start to ferment
- preheat the oven to 175 deg on fan bake, cook for 60 minutes, this loaf won't rise so keep that in mind, it should sound hollow when you tap it to indicate that its done
- Allow it to cool then turn it out on a rack, don't try to cut it until it has completely cooled as it is very crumbly!
Make it your own, add in currents or berries or replace the seeds with some nuts, walnuts would work well.
Serve with hummus and sauerkraut or for a sweet version smother it in nut butter!