Our guest blogger this month is Lauren Hunter a.k.a @thewholesomehunter. Her Fudgy Mocha Squares offer a healthier alternative to a flapjack, subbing out refined sugar and butter for other ingredients, and the protein powder and complex carbs in the oats make this a tasty filling post-workout treat. Won’t last too long in your cupboard (you’ve been warned).
Ingredients: (makes 12 squares)
- 200g Porridge oats
- 500ml Rebel Coffee Mylk
- 2 Bananas, mashed
- 2tbsp Coconut oil
- 1tbsp Cacao powder
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 70g Walnuts, chopped or broken up
- 2 heaped tsp Instant coffee dissolved in 1tbsp boiling water
- 50g Raisins or sultanas
- 50g Pana Chocolate Raw or Eighty
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 40g Nutra Organics Clean or Thriving Protein powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Grease a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with coconut oil and line with baking parchment.
- Add the oats and Mylk to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until it reaches a sticky, porridge-like consistency.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix together – the coconut oil and chocolate chips should melt easily into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for approximately 25 minutes until firm and slightly crispy on top but gooey and moist in the centre.
- Leave it to sit for about 10 minutes before removing from the tin and cutting into squares. It’s best served hot, so either eat immediately or gently reheat in the oven later on. They’re still super tasty cold – make sure to store them in the fridge and eat within a few days.